This is a great bake for a Sunday night and makes for an easy, delicious and healthy breakfast for the kids – it has no added sugar and is practically fat free! It’s absolutely delicious served toasted with butter.
You can put your own twist on the recipe with different dried fruits or by adding ginger, cinnamon or even a pinch of nutmeg instead of mixed spice.
If you try the recipe, visit our Facebook and Twitter pages to let us know what you think!
YOU WILL NEED:
- 50g bran flakes
- 90g oats and / or your favourite muesli
- 130g self-raising flour or wholemeal flour with 2 tsp baking powder
- 250ml milk
- 75g of your favourite stoneless dried fruit (apricots, prunes, raisins, dates etc.)
- 1 tsp mixed spice
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line a loaf tin or mini loaf tins. If you want a very full loaf, you will need to double the mixture.
- Weigh out all of the ingredients, and mix the bran flakes, oats and mixed spice together in a large bowl
- Chop or blend your dried fruit (I like to blend my dried fruit in the milk using a nutribullet or high speed blender before adding to the rest of the mixture, but if you like your fruit more coarse then just chop it up into your desired sized pieces)
- Add the fruit to the bran flakes, oats, milk and mixed spice, stir and leave the mixture to soak for 5 - 10 minutes
- Stir in the self-raising flour, then place in the loaf tin and bake at 180°C for 40 - 50 minutes
- Once baked, cool on a wire rack